course: Terahertz Technology
- teaching methods:
- lecture with integrated tutorials
- computer based presentation, black board and chalk
- responsible person:
- Prof. Dr. Martin R. Hofmann
- Dr.-Ing. Carsten Brenner (ETIT)
- offered in:
- winter term
Please look up the dates in the central course catalog.
Date according to prior agreement with lecturer.
|Form of exam:||oral|
|Registration for exam:||FlexNow|
The students have insight into the electromagnetic spectrum in the region from 100 GHz to 30 THz. They understand the different approaches for the generation and the detection of THz radiation.
For a long time the generation of THz radiation was a major issue. In the past 20 years the possible approaches to generation and detection of THz radiation have evolved. The lecture gives an overview over radiation in this spectral region and its possible applications. Main focus of the lecture are concepts for THz generation that are based on optical principles (quantum cascade lasers, gas and pulse lasers) as well as electronic means (mixers, tunnel diodes, superconducting contacts). Special attention is paid to time domain spectroscopy which has become a commercially available technology in the past few years.
Fundamental knowledge of electromagnetic waves and optics
- Xu, Jingzhou, Zhang, X.-C. "Introduction to THz Wave Photonics", Springer, 2010
- Lee, Yun-Shik "Principles of Terahertz Science and Technology", Springer, 2009
- Murphy, J. Anthony, O'Sullivan, Créidhe "Terahertz Sources, Detectors, and Optics", Spie Press, 2012
- Bründermann, Erik, Hübers, Heinz-Wilhelm, Kimmitt, Maurice FitzGerald "Terahertz Technologies", Springer, 2012