- teaching methods:
- lecture with tutorials
- computer based presentation, black board and chalk
- responsible person:
- Prof. Dr. Martin R. Hofmann
- Prof. Dr. Martin R. Hofmann (ETIT)
- offered in:
- summer term
dates in summer term
- start: Wednesday the 11.04.2018
- lecture Wednesdays: from 10:15 to 11.45 o'clock in ID 04/445
- tutorial (alternativ) Thursdays: from 14:15 to 15.45 o'clock in ID 04/401
- tutorial (alternativ) Thursdays: from 14:15 to 15.45 o'clock in ID 03/419
Date according to prior agreement with lecturer.
Exam registration: FlexNow
The students have learned the fundamentals of optical information transfer and retrieval. The have acquired basic knowledge of lasers, linear and non-linear optics and understand the concepts of optical memories (CD, DVD) and optical telecommunication.
The lecture starts with the fundamentals of linear optics (refraction, diffraction, dispersion etc.). Afterwards, the interaction of light and matter is analyzed and the fundamentals of lasers are worked out. Important laser systems are discussed and principles of the generation of short light pulses are explained. Furthermore, the principles and applications of non-linear optics are discussed. As the most important photonic application, optical memories and optical telecommunications are discussed in separate chapters. The lecture is concluded with an outlook on the potential of photonic crystals.
Fundamental knowlegde of electromagnetic waves
- Saleh, , Teich, "Fundamentals of Photonics", Wiley & Sons, 2007
- Meschede, Dieter "Optics, Light and Lasers", Wiley-VCH, 2007
- Jahns, Jürgen "Photonik. Grundlagen, Komponenten und Systeme", Oldenbourg, 2001