course: Master Project Optics Fundamentals
- teaching methods:
- responsible person:
- Prof. Dr. Martin R. Hofmann
- Prof. Dr. Martin R. Hofmann (ETIT)
- offered in:
- winter term and summer term
dates in winter term
- kick-off meeting: Wednesday the 10.10.2018 from 12:30 in ID 1/168
- lab Fridays: from 09:00 to 12.00 o'clock
dates in summer term
- kick-off meeting: Wednesday the 11.04.2018 from 13:00 in ID 03/653
- lab Wednesdays: from 13:00 to 16.00 o'clock
After the project the students understand
- the basic requirements for work in an optical laboratory
- basic Matlab commands for data analysis (esp. interpolation and Fourier transform)
Furthermore the students are able to apply
- the gained knowledge of optical experiments concerning the handling and alignment of optics
- simple data analysis tasks using Matlab
The students receive information material about the fundamental work flow in optical laboratories and data analysis in Matlab. In three experiments the gained knowledge of the students is tested and futhermore applied to two optical setups and some data.
The practical experiments are the alignment of a single mode fiber coupling setup and a Michelson interferometer. In the Matlab experiment data interpolation and Fourier transform are in the focus of the exercise.
- Further contents are:
- Cleaning and Handling of optical components
- Optic alignment workflow
- Optomechanical components
- Basic characteristics of lenses and other optics
- Coherence and interferference
A Laser safety introduction is mandatory to take part in the optics fundamentals project.
Participation in the Optics Fundamentals project is mandatory for advanced projects (modern optics, semiconductor optics).